First of all, don’t panic if your nursery isn’t ready – most people don’t even set foot in there until baby is around six months old and ready to sleep in their own cot. Instead, concentrate your efforts on getting your hospital bag ready – that is something you will need to have ready.
Here are some of the essentials you will need, right from the very beginning…
Unless you have a crystal ball or have some special psychic talents, you will need to buy two sizes for your baby, “tiny baby” and “newborn”. Most babies end up wearing tiny baby clothes for the first couple of weeks once they’re born, even when weighing in at just over 7 pounds! Don’t forget babies also lose some of their birth weight after birth too. You will need the following:
- 2x packs of cotton vests (long or short sleeved depending on the season)
- 2x packs of baby gros
- 2x going home baby gros for those special photos!
- 2x cardigans if it’s cold (9x out of 10 in the UK it will be)
- 2x baby hats
- 2x packs of baby mitts
- 1x snowsuit, again if it’s cold
- As many muslin cloths as you can pack
- Cotton wool balls
- Nappies for tiny baby and newborn
- Cellular blanket
- Small bottles and formula just in case you decide not to breastfeed or are unable to
- Car seat – you won’t be allowed to leave the hospital without one!
Let’s not forget the list for mummy! Here are some of the essentials you will need for yourself…
- X2 sets of pjs (preferably button-down ones for easy access feeding)
- Dressing gown
- Nightie (go for a dark coloured one for when you have just given birth as it gets pretty messy!)
- Black comfy pants
- Maternity sanitary towels
- X2 maternity bras
- Flip flops (again for messy reasons) you won’t want to stain your slippers!
- An outfit to leave the hospital – something of soft fabrics no buttoned tight jeans!
- Easy slip on shoes
- Hair brush and hair ties
- Shampoo, conditioner and shower gel
- Face wipes, moisturiser and lip balm
- Toothbrush and toothpaste
- Makeup bag (optional of course!)
- Phone and charger
- Camera and charger
- Snacks and drinks
There you have it, your list of essentials for the hospital! If you guys have anything to add feel free to let us know below. We’d love to hear about what you had in your hospital bag!