As a first time mummy to be, living in a country with only two birthing options: natural birth without pain relief or to opt for a c-section, I wanted to explore Hynobirthing.
So what actually is Hynobirthing?
Hypnobirthing is a technique during labour and birth to help you manage your pain by focusing on breathing, massage and self- hypnosis. Because I live in Turkey, and will not be given the option to have any pain relief whatsoever (including gas and air) this was something I really wanted to research in detail and hopefully be able to apply during my birthing experience.
It can be said that when you are in fear, your body instantly sends off signals to tense up, making the process of birth even more painful.
Some methods of hypnobirthing:
- Controlled breathing
- Relaxation and meditation
- Visualisation – taking your mind to another state
Benefits of hypnobirthing:
- Helps to keep the mother calm during labour and birth by minimising stress hormones and anxiety.
- Can make labour quicker
- Allows to be in total control over your body
- Allows your birth partner to be more involved
- Hypnobirthing can be applied to every day life to reduce stress, not just birth.
Have you guys used hypnobirthing before during labour, do you have any tips, did it work well for you? I would love to hear your thoughts to help a first time mama out! x